Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Week 2 Assignment 2 Done

Week 2 Assignment 2

Crown
by Nancy Bilyeau

This is a historical fiction, set in Henry VIII time. There is a strong female character, a novitiate, who has the job of finding the golden crown in order to save her father. It includes suspense and a surprise ending.
This is not what I usually read, but I must say that the book on CD was very well done, so if you want to listen to this I would recommend the CD.

Snapper
by Brian Kimberling

This is a first person narrative.  You may enjoy this witty story about a 30 something man who takes a job as an ornithologist even though he does not have much experience in the field.   His explorations in this new field of work are enhanced by his pursuit of a woman.  This is lighhearted and humorous.

3 comments:

  1. Crown by Nancy Bilyeau
    This is a historical fiction, set in Henry VIII time. There is a strong female character, a novitiate, who has the job of finding the golden crown in order to save her father. It includes suspense and a surprise ending.
    This is not what I usually read, but I must say that the book on CD was very well done, so if you want to listen to this I would recommend the CD.
    Stephanie Seipp

    ReplyDelete
  2. Using Novelist as a launching point, I think you might like Aimee Bender's books as read-alikes for Snapper. Quirky magical realism, but the read-alike elements come in because they are character-driven. I might also recommend The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce. Such an interesting character study!

    Read-alike for Crown (according to Novelist) is your usual suspect...Phillipa Gregory. I would also recommend Hilary Mantel's books for setting.

    -Melissa H.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you liked The Crown, you might also like The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory. It's a partly-fictionalized account of Mary Boleyn, the sister to Henry VIII's second wife, Anne. She was Henry's mistress before his ill-fated relationship with Anne. It's a story with political intrigue, mystery, and romance. It wasn't something I would have normally picked out for myself, but I couldn't put it down!

    I also think you would really like the book Red Tails in Love by Marie Winn. It's the true story of a group of bird lovers in Central Park who follow a pair of red-tailed hawks that build a nest at the top of a Fifth Avenue apartment building. It's funny, charming, and inspirational and I think you would love it!

    ReplyDelete